Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Collection Development, Extended Hours (ASP), HRRB, Community

At the end of this week I spent a great deal of time using reports to check on my collection and completing orders that would help to get some updated fiction in the hands of our patrons. The new fiction is what brings them in. Kids have been asking me for weeks, "When are we going to get some newbooks?" I'm hoping these orders will be here in a few weeks!

The Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl is coming up next week. We've decided to hold the competition in two parts. Round 1 during the school day and round 2 at our Family Literacy Night. This has really drawn the students to the GA Book Award Nominees and promoted literacy.

I also got in touch with Mary Jean Hartel to speak with our 6th graders about using the Athens Regional Library. While she is here she will also do some storytelling!

The afterschool media center is going AWESOME! I am so excited about the number of students we see each afternoon. I am currently working on an author visit from Tim Green as part of the extended hours After-School Media Center's 21st Century Grant Program. I spoke again with his administrative assistant today, so we'll see. Right now, the cost is $5000; hopefully, we will be able to split it between schools and the 21st Century folks... We'll see! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment